Friday, October 1, 2010

Recapturing Beauty


Last night I attended the kick off fireside for BYU's "Recapturing Beauty" campaign. I have been following Stephanie Nielson's story through her NieNie Dialogues blog for over a year now. She inspires me to live better than I have been. Stephanie was the guest speaker. Myself and two co-workers arrived an hour early. The BYU Ballroom was packed! It was exciting to see the support for Stephanie.

Stephanie began her story sharing this. The hundreds of people fell silent and feelings were tender. While listening to Stephanie's story and her thoughts about beauty I thought about what beauty means to me. Stephanie said that with beauty there must be a base, an inside that steadies the outside. We must have a foundation of knowing that our Heavenly Father loves us. We must develop our relationship with Him. We were made in the image of our Heavenly Father. Our beauty is a gift from Him.

I believe it is important for us to take care of ourselves. It is important to be healthy. It is important to eat well and exercise. But you know what, it is just as important and more important to take care of ourselves spiritually. Beauty is in how we act and how we treat others. Beauty is learning to be patient and kind. Beauty is modesty and dignity.

On my mission I remember seeing so much beauty in people's eyes and faces. Someone once said, "If you live close to God and His infinite grace - you won't have to tell, it will show in your face."

Just as Stephanie Nielson pleaded with us last night, I too, hope you know of your beauty and worth. If not and for those who are struggling, pray & act. I know that our Heavenly Father will bless you to feel of His love for you. He will bless you to feel as He does of your beauty and worth. May we all love ourselves as He does.

1 comment:

  1. What a great thing to get to go to. I'm sure, as you said, that it was very uplifting and educational. I've been following her as well every so often. What a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete