Friday, January 8, 2010

Christmas 2009

We hope everyone had a most wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Ours was full of fun activites. We had quite the busy Holiday. The day before Chritmas Eve Jon and I drove to Sacramento to spend the holidays with my family. We've driven to Sacramento about 7 times this year and know exactly where to stop for the cheapest gas, haha. We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family and it was so special. I was especially excited to see everyone open their gifts from Jon and me. I am grateful that we have this time of year. It is my absolute favorite time of the year and to me really is "the most wonderful time of the year". We felt completely spoiled this year. We received a huge George Foreman from my parents and countless other needed and wanted gifts. Jon gave me a beautiful set of sapphire jewelry with diamonds and white gold. He also gave me some brown boots with fur and all. They are perfect for fashion and function. He also spoiled me with a red tea pot and a "Flirty Apron". So fun! I got Jon a new SwissGear shoulder bag and some blu-ray movies. It was the perfect Christmas as we spent quality time with those we love so much.

One of the highlights of our visit was spending time with our nieces, Mari and Alice. Alice is just beginning to smile and make those sweet baby noises... it is priceless. My sister, Sarah, has beautiful children... Jon and I have a lot to live up to, haha. We spent time with our Grandpa and Grandma Hogge. They took us to dinner at one of our favorite restuarants, Red Lobster and then to Leatherby's for dessert. We each ordered a Black and Tan. Yum! We had our entire family together for Christmas for the first time in a few years. My brother, Joey, recently returned home from his mission in Japan. We're so happy to have him home. Watching all of my family together and being with my own sweetheart was truly special for me. They are my best friends and I think I'll keep them forever.

The day after Christmas we drove to Mendocino, California. We call this beautiful, little town our "heaven on earth". We go camping as an extended family each summer and just recently my family began the tradition of going each few days after Christmas. I love the ocean and the rocky beaches were especially beautiful this visit. It's always hard to leave Mendocino, but this year it wasn't so difficult to leave.
Jon and I left Mendocino to drive down to Long Beach for our long awaited cruise!!! Yes, we finally made a getaway for our honeymoon. I had been on a cruise before, but this was Jon's first and he absolutely loved it! We both did! Our cruise took us down to Ensenada. Jon had served part of his mission in Mexico and it was so fun for me to see him speaking Spanish with all of the natives. He has a great love for the people of Mexico. We lived a life of luxury for a few days. We took naps, explored the ship, ordered room service just because we could, and ate lots and lots and lots of food. And yes, I did gain a few pounds, but it was so worth it! My favorite dish was lobster, of course and for dessert we loved the chocolate melting cake, absolutely divine! We're planning to take another cruise in a few years... maybe for an anniversary down the road (hint, hint). It was so nice to be disconnected from the world and enjoy one another. After the cruise we had planned to go to Disneyland for a few days but felt strongly about spending more time with the family. Disneyland will always been there, maybe next year.
We spent New Year's Eve and New Year's Day back with the family. I struggled to stay awake until 12:00am. I'm much more of an early bird than a night owl. New Year's day was the girl's shopping day. Mom, Sarah, Hilly, and the two little ones, Mari and Alice all went for a day out to the mall. I'm so grateful for my mom and sisters. I love that we are best friends. It was especially hard this year to leave my family and come back to Utah. (Luckily I have Jon's family in Utah.) Although it was a crazy, busy trip we had a wonderful time. We wish the best for you and yours this New Year. Luvs!

3 comments:

  1. Oh don't worry your kids will be SO beautiful! And that's the same cruise we went on for our honeymoon. It was so fun! Looks like your holidays were so nice. Glad to see another blog from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun Mindy!! What a great vacation. I bet you had so much fun together on the cruise. Matt and I want to do that so bad! I loved seeing all the pictures of your family. I am so glad you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to Mendicino only once, but it was a really nice town! Sounds like you had a fun vacation/honeymoon. And you gotta love that Nevada drive, I've done it more times than I can count!

    ReplyDelete